Sunday 26 May 2013

"Cold Process Soap Turning Into A MELT & POUR Soap"

Happy Monday every one!!!

It's another chilly day here in Rouse Hill, NSW, hope you guys will enjoy reading & watching this tutorial I made last night. This is about COLD PROCESSED soap (dried & cured for 2-4 weeks), which I turned into a Melt & Pour Soap. I know that there are soap makers out there who's wondering about LUSH? Yes, LUSH products are awesome! A friend of mine and a student as well, contacted me a few weeks ago, asking for LUSH Products, how it's made and she requested that I make a study out of their products. I told her I cannot copy their products, I can only do what I can do to help her achieve something similar yet more natural, because that is what my company are for.

Well, I was onced an avid user of LUSH 10 years ago, and theirs was absolutely georgeous! But, ofcourse, having my own soap company here in Sydney, I use only my products nothing else!

Here's my humble tutorial on how I made this study soap: I made this yesterday, I know it's pretty simple, but, wait till I finish another project using the same pattern: This smells AWESOME! And sticks on your skin like perfume, I swear! I used ONLY 100% Essential Oil Blends.

 
 
Cold Process Soap Base INTO Melt n Pour Soap Base from Marrie Lea Strachan on Vimeo.


INSTRUCTIONS with Photos:

 Step 1. Prepare grounded cold processed soap base or soap flakes.
 
 
 Step 2. Add 3 tbsp of Guava Leaf Decoction or Distilled Water or any herbal tea of choice.
 
Step 3. Prepare 60g of boiled distilled water, dissolve 2 heaping teaspoons of honey.
 
Step 5. Add the Honey Water to the crock pot with the soap flakes.
 
Step 6.  Cover and let the soap flakes melt completely. This should take 1.5 to 3 hours or even more especially using soap flakes. Check every 30 minutes and mix to help melt down the soap bits.
 
Step 7. After a couple of hours, here's what your soap batter will look like. Did you see those soap chunks? Yes, need more time to cook and melt every bit. Cover once more and let cook.
 
Step 8.  After another 30 minutes to an hour, get your blender and give a couple of burst to help smoothen the paste. This will create such lovely, smooth appearance on our final soap.
 
Step 9.  It's time to weigh and stir in propylene glycol (PPG). Propylene Glycol will make our soap base meltable and re-meltable. Because of it's high boiling point, PPG makes it pefect for our solvent, it cuts down cooking time than that of Isopropyl Alcohol.
 
Step 10. Please read below:
 

Step 11. Check your soap every 30 minutes, check the surface area, it should be completely clear
and liquid.
 
Step 12. If after an hour and the soap chunks are not fully melted, add more propylene glycol, I started on 35% and ended up adding 20% more of PPG.
 
Step 13.  After completely dissolving the soap bits, I had to do it quick so, I wasn't able to take photos of it as I only have two (2) hands (lol!!!). So, below is the photo when I placed it in the fridge after pouring.
 
 
Step 14.  After 1 hour you may  unmold the soap...!
 
Step 15.  Cut to desired size, and it's ready for use!
 
Smooth like a tripple milled soap!
 
 
Thanks for reading this blog!  See you all for more tutorial next time!
Please post your comment and suggestions below!
..and subscribe if you like my tutorials! Thanks heaps! - Lee S.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: